Let me set the scene:
You’ve recently discovered the horrible truths about animal testing and you are completely outraged. Then, you look through your makeup bag and your bathroom counter and you see all of those brands that you now know test on animals. You’re thinking, what do I do now? Do I throw everything away and start over? But, where do I start? DO VEGANS EVEN WEAR MAKEUP?!
Let me assure you, I was there a little over 5 years ago. I was in the same place, freaking out about what my next step was going to be. The good news is I made it through and I’m here to share my tips with you for going cruelty-free!
- Use up the products you already own: When I went cruelty-free I did not start from scratch. I tried to use up all of the non-cruelty-free products I already had. This gave me time to find cruelty-free versions of my favorite products and do research without being wasteful.
- Check to see if anything you currently own is already cruelty-free: There are so many mainstream brands that are cruelty-free. Do some research and read the labels of the products you already own because some of them might be cruelty-free already.
- Do your research: Read sites like Logical Harmony and Ethical Elephant. These sites are great resources for staying updated on the cruelty-free statues of brands. They also have vegan product lists as well.
- Don’t rule out the drugstore: Now that you want to go cruelty-free that doesn’t mean you have to avoid drugstore brands. Check out your local Walgreens or Target to find affordable cruelty-free brands. These brands include:
- Wet N Wild
- Yes To
- Physician’s Formula
- Alba Botanica
- Be flexible and try new brands: One of my favorite things about being cruelty-free is finding new brands to try that I wouldn’t have otherwise sought out. Some of my most favorite products are not from mainstream brands. I encourage you to have fun with your cruelty-free journey and not be overwhelmed with trying to be perfect.
Just remember, there are so many resources out there to help you along the way. You are doing the right thing and the animals thank you 🙂